Thursday, June 19, 2014

Yeah, I was doing it wrong

Thursday workout:
Morning: 1250 yards, 800 yards at race speed

Evening: 40 minute run
Evening result: 4.45 miles / average heart rate 151 bpm

My swim this morning was the first post-coaching from Peter. I was very much swimming wrong. With my stroke corrected per his instruction, there was a noticeable difference in power and effort. My strokes per 25 yards went down from 19 to 15 and my 500 yard time went down as well. It was only down 10 seconds, but the fact that I was actually stopping to take breathe, shows just how much more effective it is. We'll see how I am able to hold that form on Saturday at the tri.

My run today was good as well. 4.45 miles at a 9:00 mile. While not impressive, that is back to back 9 minute mile distance runs. My first two miles were held at 8:20 miles, but my calf cramped up a bit slowing me down.

Tomorrow is my rest day. Saturday is my Sprint. My goal is still to finish in the upper-half of the competitors. Low goal, but given I am only 4 weeks in, I think it's reasonable.

1 comment:

  1. 15 strokes per 25 yards is pretty good. I think the dog paddle puts me at somewhere around 1000 strokes/yard.

    ReplyDelete