Saturday, June 21, 2014

The results are in!

Saturday workout:
Lookout Mountain Sprint Tri: 1:33:24 / 5th of 9 in age group
Swim: 525 yards / 10:36 minutes / 4th in age group
Bike: 10 miles / 1139 feet climb / 41:39 minutes / 5th in age group
Run:  5k / 385 feet climb / 36:51 / 8th in age group

And I came up just short on the goal of upper half of my age group. 

The swim went well, but I got very winded, very quickly. The suggestions Peter had for my stroke made a huge difference and I ended up catching the person that started almost a length ahead of me. With the stoke being more efficient, I am taking less breaths per length, which mean I am breathing less. I expected that to be an issue, but didn't factor in the elevation change. The race was at 7800 feet vs. 5800 feet where we live. The reduction of oxygen took me from being winded at the end of lap 6 to lap 4.5. I definitely was taking breaks at the ends of the pool. If I could go through without stopping, I would probably be in the low 9 minute rage.

First transition was smooth. I forgot to bring a second towel so I had to use my event t-shirt instead. I need to make sure that I take a GU while I am in the transition zone as it's harder when you start moving.

Bike went, not surprisingly, well. It started with a long, fast downhill and proceeded to a relatively steep first mile climb. There was no warmup, which was unpleasant. From that point, it varied between steep climb and descent. The climbs were steep, so carry speed on descents was critical. Given my comfort at reckless speed descents, I was able to take advantage of it quite a bit. Once I ran out of momentum though, the climbs were grueling.

Transition two was also smooth. I had laid everything out cleanly before and it made a difference in my turn-around time. I will probably get a number belt, as it took extra time to get the safety pins for the number into my jersey. Still need to focus on eating GU and Bloks in the transition area.

No shocker but the run was by far my weakest leg. It was incredibly hilly, which is not something that I have been training for. It took about a quarter-mile to get my legs working properly. The first half-mile wasn't bad, then it turned straight up. I ended up power walking a lot of the hills, as I just didn't have the power to run up them. My average mile speed was 12:10 per mile, which is ghastly compared to my training run times. I must work on my running.

Looking at everybody else in my category, I am thinking that I should have registered for Clydesdale. In my age group, there were a whole bunch of skinny guys, and then my wookie self.

Results for the race can be found here. I was competing in Men's 30-34

No comments:

Post a Comment