Saturday, June 7, 2014

Hills are not meant for running

Saturday workout: 50 minute run
Result: 5.14 miles, 280ft elevation gain

I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and run outside. Also to start running on some hills. The Austin race has a couple of long rolling hills on which I need to be prepared to run. There are quite a few running trails around our house so I went on a long semi-random, exploratory loop, which was unexpectedly hilly. I had to walk a couple of the steeper hills, as my heart rate was going ballistic.The program wants me to stay in the 135-150 bpm range. It did make for what is painfully slow pace at 9:45 per mile. I need to get this down into the 8:45 range for 13.1 miles.

I have been short on sleep for the last week, so hopefully getting more over the weekend and next week will help. I should get my Polar working this weekend, which will help with maintaining heart rate over my workouts.

I'm looking forward to the bike getting here on the 11th.

No comments:

Post a Comment