Thursday, July 10, 2014

What day is it?

Wednesday Workout:
Morning: Pushed

Evening: 1500 yard swim - 500 yard warm-up; 16x50, 10" rest; 200 yard cool down
Evening Result: 800 yard swim / 10:21 pace

Thursday workout:
Morning: Pushed

Evening: 25 mile ride
Evening Result: 25 miles / 1:23 hours / average heart rate 131 bpm

Workout schedule is all kinds to screwed up this week. I was too tired last night to ride, so I pushed it to today. My intentions of swimming this morning were nuked when Haley woke up at 5:00am. Given Sarah didn't get home until 3:00am, that meant I was with Haley. I've shifted today until tomorrow and burned my rest day, using it today to make time for my ride. Total mess.

Last night's swim workout was abysmal. I am not a sprinter, in any sport. The 16x50 sprints just about killed me. My breathing went to hell and I ended up falling out of my every third stroke cadence. I kind of just want to skip a sprint workout day and just lay down a 2100 yard swim. Just swim at a good pace and put in a full 1.2 miles. Just to see how long it would take given my current fitness level. I have a feeling it would take somewhere around 45 minutes. My goal is to be around 38 minutes for the race. I'm hoping that is a conservative goal.

Tonight's bike went well. 25 miles at the upper end of my heart rate range (~147bpm). Another best time piece averaging 18.1 mph with a 131 bpm heart rate (including warm-up/down). I dropped into warm-down at mile 24 and my HR dropped to 110 bmp in less than a half-mile. Given my warm-down is so much quicker now, I am going to push it to 24.4 miles before winding down. That should better my pace by a few minutes.

I am finding that I don't hit my real power threshold/second wind until about 30 minutes into the workout - bike or run. That is far too long for my needs in this race. I need to be able to dive into complex sugars and fat burn far quicker, else I spin getting nowhere until it kicks in.

I have a 70 minute run Sunday, so hopefully my Camelbak shows up by Saturday. I don't want to get caught out without water or Gu again. My ride is 45 miles, so I am debating where to go. I am getting near Golden at this point, but the hills get more substantial the closer I get. I would like to hit my tuck and hammer for a while. I might just do an east-west double back.

At week 6 - Austin race goals
Swim: 38 minutes /  9:00 minutes per 500 pace
Bike: 2:00 hours /  28 mph average
Run:  1:55 hours / 8:45 minute pace
Total: 4:33 hours

At week 6 - YOLO race goals
Swim: 25 minutes /  9:00 minutes per 500 pace
Bike: 1:00 hour /  25 mph average
Run:  54 minutes / 8:45 minute pace
Total: 2:19 hours

I will update my goals every few weeks as my training progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment