Sunday, August 10, 2014

Week10 - The halfway mark

With Week 10 drawn to a close, I am now halfway through my training. Race day is coming up quickly. The Olympic race is next weekend - a half distance race at the halfway mark.

Been too busy to make updates, but I have gotten my workouts in. Haley was in back-up daycare this week as her normal provider was on vacation. JPMorgan provides back-up daycare through Bright Horizons Montessori schools for $10/day. Which is amazing! The Montessori school she was at is by my office, so  morning efficiencies were a must. Going home however placed us into the middle of commute traffic, leaving little free time in the evenings. I do really like the school that she was in though. She might be going there soon. Who knows.

Monday weigh-in: 225 lbs

Monday Workout:
Morning: 1500 yard swim - 500 yard warm-up; 800 yard swim; 200 yard cool down.

Evening: 25 mile ride
Evening Result: 25 miles / 1:26 hours / average heart rate 130 bpm

Tuesday Workout:
Morning: 2500 yard swim - 800 yard warm-up; 500 stroke drills; 10 x 100’s sw-15" rest; 200 yard cool down 

Evening: 60 minute run
Evening Result: 48 minutes / 5.5 miles / average heart rate 145 bpm / 8:44 minute pace

I discovered that our gym closes at 10:00pm, which is why my run was short.

Wednesday Workout:
Evening: 35 mile ride
Evening Result: 35 miles / 1:56 hours / average heart rate 141 bpm

Thursday workout:
Morning: 1750 yard swim - 500yard warm-up; 1 x 100 sw-15" rest, 2 x 50’s k-10" rest - 5 sets; 250yard cool down 

Evening: 50 minute run
Evening Result: 5.8 miles / average heart rate 147 bpm / 8:37 minute pace

Friday workout:
Evening: 20 mile spin-down ride
Evening Result: 20 miles / 1:14 hours / average heart rate 116 bpm

Saturday workout:
Morning 1: 1000 yard swim - 300 yard warm-up; 500 yard swim; 200 yard cool down
Morning Result 1: 500 yard swim / 8:07 minutes

Morning 2: 90 minute run
Morning Result 2: 8.3 miles / average heart rate 143 bpm / 10:49 minute pace




Long, slow run. I went straight from the pool to my run, so I was focusing on my heart rate instead speed. Which is why it was so slow. The focus made for a much "easier" run in that I could maintain. No big swings in speed, just steady. Adding a few miles to get up to a half would not be hard.

Sunday workout:
Morning: 55 mile ride
Result: 12.1 miles / 1,736 feet climbing / 1:41 hours / average heart rate 137


With my trip to Moab coming up fast, I figured it a good idea to get some dirt time. I had planned on doing a 25-30 mile trail ride, but due to a flat and limited time (yeah! county fair...), I was only able to do a short ride. I was hoping to do two laps. It was a messy ride though. My fitness is through the roof, but bike handling skills are abysmal.

My long rides and runs are going to be a bit screwy over the next few weeks. I have the YOLO Olympic race this coming weekend and Labor Day I will be in Moab with the guys for our annual mountain bike trip. My run schedule doesn't have me doing any more runs over 100 minutes after Labor Day and I will be skipping that. I am a bit concerned that I will not be doing many (if any!) runs over 10 miles, especially because the run is 13.1 miles.

Either way, the run is becoming less of a concern after this week's run. I am becoming a bit concerned about the swim though. I am not good at pacing in the water without known distances to keep myself in check. The race officials note its ~400 yards per length -2 out and back's - but that is still a long distance to estimate.

Goals for this coming weekend:
Swim: 24 minutes - 8:45 per 500 yard pace
Bike: 1:25 hours - 18 mph pace
Run: 60 minutes -10:00 mile pace
Total: 2:49 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment